Thank you for your patience and messages over the last couple of days. Your support means a great deal.
Together with the Governors, I have made the sad decision to close the school to all pupils except those who are vulnerable or key workers for this week.
We will review this on Friday and based on the evidence, may continue this for a second week.
The evidence used to form this decision is as follows and was given to schools by the Local Authority:
1. The rate in Wolverhampton is increasing fast and there is no evidence of it slowing.
2. The rate is currently at 674.7 per 100,000 as at the 31 December 2020. This rate was 337 on 24 December 2020.
3. Wolverhampton’s positivity rate is at its highest point since the pandemic started – 24.3%, in line with many London boroughs.
4. Over the last 2 weeks we have seen an extreme spike in Covid case numbers, far exceeding anything previously.
5. Wolverhampton’s Covid case rate is seeing a significant increase across all age ranges including children.
6. Currently our profile is similar to that of London and the South East 2-3 weeks ago.
7. Based on the current high positivity rate and increasing overall rate, it is highly likely the new more aggressive variant is within the City.
I strongly believe this decision to close will protect our pupils, our staff and all the Stow Heath families and will help to protect further spread in the community in which we serve.
Today has always been planned as an INSET day and so remote learning for children will start on Tuesday. Further details on this will be published tomorrow. Please be patient with us whilst we try to organise this provision.
One thing I can be absolutely confident about is that our staff will continue to work hard to deliver home learning whilst ensuring that you are all safe and well.
Vulnerable children will be contacted today to offer a place in school. Please wait to be contacted by school.
If you are a key worker and you would like your child to attend from Tuesday, please contact the office on 558820 from 12pm today. We will need proof from your employers that you are an essential key worker, even if your child/ren attended our key worker provision last year.
There is also a form attached to this note which can be downloaded and will need to be completed prior to your child attending. This can be handed into the office on the first day of your child attends this provision. Any not completed, or any delay in proof being given, may result in your child not being able to attend until completed.
You can find further information about who qualifies as a key worker here:
For children attending this provision, the start time will be 8.45am and children will need to be collected at 3.15pm. There will be no breakfast or after school provision for the time being. Children can be dropped off and collected from the main school office.
My apologies for the late notice but I hope that you understand I have put the needs of the children and your families first in this hard decision that I have made.
Best wishes & stay safe,